Dear Ms. Gardner:
Re: Southern Baptist Convention
Registered Collective Membership Mark Serial No. 73208125
This is a formal takedown notice pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C.A. § 512)
1. My physical signature is affixed at the end of this letter. Iam authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is being infringed as described in this letter. This firm is general counsel to the Southern Baptist Convention. I am listed as Attorney of Record on the registration for this mark on the records of the U.S. Trademark Office.
2. The work that is being infringed is the Southern Baptist Convention's Registered Collective Membership Mark, Serial No. 73208125.
3. The infringing material is the actual Collective Membership Mark depicted at the following site: http://en.m.wilcipedia.org/wilci/File:Southern-baptist-convention.svg
The mark should be removed or access to the site disabled. In the alternative, the site should be corrected to state that the mark at issue is a Registered Collective Membership Mark and may be used only with the permission of the Southern Baptist Convention or its agent, the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention.
4. Contact information for the complaining party is:
￼James D. Jordan
Guenther, Jordan & Price, PC
2100 W End Ave, Ste 1150
Nashville, TN 37203
5. I, as the complaining party, believe in good faith that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the mark's owner, its agent, or the law.
6. I, as the complaining party, state under penalty of perjury that the information in this notification is accurate. I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is being infringed.
The Wikipedia article cited above says under the heading "Licensing"
This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Graevemoore at the wikipedia project. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible: Graevemoore grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.
The work (the logo) was not authored by Graevemoore and Graevemoore has no right to grant anyone the right to use the logo.
In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, I am requesting that Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation remove the Southern Baptist Convention's collective membership mark or disable access to the site referenced above. In the alternative, the "Licensing" section may be corrected to state:
This mark is a registered collective membership mark which may be used only with the permission of the Southern Baptist Convention. Requests for permission may be submitted to its fiduciary, The Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, at its Office of Convention Policy, 901 Commerce Street, Nashville, TN 37203.
Please contact me if further information is needed.