Please note: This page is kept for historical reasons and may be out-of-date or inaccurate.
Major benefactors ($50,000 or more)
As a nonprofit organization, the Wikimedia Foundation relies on the expertise & generosity of thousands of people all around the world.
Note: All figures are in US dollars and reflect gifts received before May 31, 2008.
- We would like to thank an anonymous donor for a generous gift of $500,000 in December 2007. Currently, it is our policy to assume donations to be anonymous unless otherwise stated by the donor.
- On March 24, 2008, Vinod and Neeru Khosla announced a $500,000 donation to the Wikimedia Foundation, calling Wikipedia "a valuable global education resource." (Press release)
- Special thanks to a friend of the Wikimedia Foundation, who has made a matching donation of $286,000 in stocks, and who has chosen to remain anonymous. (December 2006)
- We are grateful for the ongoing support of Alan Bauer, who has generously given a total of $145,000 to the Wikimedia Foundation since 2006, including a gift of $125,000 made in May 2008.
- A generous donation of $100,000 was made to the Wikimedia Foundation by Stephen J. Luczo, Chairman of the Board of Seagate Technology in March 2007.
- The Virgin Foundation, operating under the working name of Virgin Unite, is the charitable arm of Virgin Group. The "Virgin Unite" campaign was launched in 2004. The Wikimedia Foundation would like to thank Virgin Unite for its generosity in matching donations during this fundraiser. (December 2006)
Patrons ($15,000 to $49,999)
- Richard Lounsbery Foundation (February 2005) $40,000
- Jeff Moe (en.wikipedia user jebba) (2003 - July 2008) $29,750 (in multiple donations)
- Two Sigma Investments LLC (December 2006)$25,000
- RetailMeNot.com (November 2007)$20,000
- Philip Greenspun (August 2007) $20,000
- Burt and Diana Cutler Family Foundation (December 2006, November 2007) $15,000 (from two donations)
- John and Frances Beck (September 2007) $15,000
- Richard E Merit (September 2007)$15,000
- Community Foundation Silicon Valley, Nicholas Palvesky fund (January 2007) $15,000
Leading donors ($5,000 to $14,999)
- Crown Clothing Corporation, in honor of Mr. Jim Branam (December 2007, May 2008) $10,000 (two donations of $5,000)
- The Sims/Mae's Foundation, Inc (December 2006, December 2007) $10,000 (two donations of $5,000)
- Seznam.cz, a.s. (May 2006) $10,000
- Graphics Press, LLC (December 2006, December 2007) $10,000 (two donations of $5,000)
- Michael Minor (November 2007) $10,000
- Select Equity Group Foundation (April 2007) $10,000
- Craigslist, Inc. (December 2006) $5,000
- Mr. William Richley, P.A. (December 2006) $5,000
- The Zephyr Charitable Foundation, Inc (December 2006)$5,000
Sustaining donors ($1,000 to $4,999)
Skinner Fund (May 2008)
Nitin Agarwal, Misk (July 2007)