Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Meeting
May 7, 2012, 18:00-20:00 UTC
- In attendance: Ting Chen, Bishakha Datta, Phoebe Ayers, Jan-Bart de Vreede, Samuel Klein, Stu West, Kat Walsh, Arne Klempert, Jimmy Wales, and Sue Gardner (WMF's Executive Director).
- Absent: Matt Halprin.
The purpose of this meeting was discussing and giving feedback to Sue on the Wikimedia Foundation's annual plan for 2012-13.
Ting called the meeting to order at 18:00 UTC.
Sue recapped the draft of the Annual Plan that had been sent to Trustees, and asked for feedback about how to bring the plan into balance. Trustees then had a chance to ask questions and discuss the plan.
Several points were brought up in discussion, including:
- Analyzing the WMF's budget with the new element of the proposed Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC);
- Comparing actual spending to the strategic plan estimates, and determining appropriate growth of WMF spending;
- What an appropriate reserves allocation should be;
- Focusing WMF spending, prioritizing WMF activities, and how to best pursue long-term WMF activities to achieve strategic goals.
The next steps are that Sue plans to synthesize Board input, and Stu West as Treasurer will go over the plan in detail with Sue and Garfield Byrd (WMF's Chief of Finance of Administration). The Board will continue to discuss the plan and provide feedback before a final version is due on June 1st to the Board.
The meeting was adjourned at 19:50 UTC.