Please note: This page is kept for historical reasons and may be out-of-date or inaccurate.
- This styleguide is official policy of the Foundation
A draft of the wiki version of the Visual Identity guidelines which includes Wikipedia can be found here
These guidelines should be linked in the different Wikimedia projects where appropriate, but not copied/pasted. Thank you.
About this styleguide
Wikimedia has a vision which brings together thousands of volunteers from all over the world. This decentralized structure makes it all the more important for Wikimedia to be recognizable as one organisation. For this, we have common goals, but we also have a common visual identity.
This styleguide is designed to provide all within and without the Wikimedia organisation a clear set of rules to follow for the best use of our trademark, logos, and colors. Note that no derivative of the Wikimedia logo can be published without prior approval from the Foundation; see the Trademark Policy for details about usage of logos and trademarks.
The Wikimedia signature: the logo
The Wikimedia logo is composed of a symbol and a name. Both elements are closely linked and should only be used within the frame described hereafter. This styleguide presents a set of ground rules that should be followed at all times in order to keep the integrity of the Wikimedia identity.
The logo comprises 4 colors. Red, Green, Blue and Gray. The colors are defined for the different possible media and should not be changed.
The color specifications are listed in the Color specifications section below
- Example of color logo
For use in non-colored environments, please use the following specifications.
The following version of the logo is intended for use in a grayscale environment. Automatic translation of the original colors in grayscale will not render the proper effect, please use the color specifications listed in the Color specifications section below for grayscaling the logo.
- Example of grayscale logo
In case the logo needs to be used in a monochrome environment (fax, rubber stamps, promotional objects etc.), it should only be used in black (on light backgrounds), or white (on dark backgrounds).
- Example of monochrome logo
The logo should be placed, where applicable, in the top right corner of the page. The logo should always be surrounded by margins of at least the size of the red circle's diameter (see figure)
- The colored Wikimedia logo should always be used on a white or very light gray background (max. 15% black), never on a colored background.
- The logo should not be turned around or distorted
|Color/Scheme||CMYK (print)||Pantone (print alternative)||RGB (screen)||Greyscale|
|Subline||0%||0%||0%||60%||Cool Grey 11||Cool Grey 11||102||102||102||#666666||60%|
Incorporation of elements in the Wikimedia signature
The Wikimedia logo is the basic visual identity of any branch of the organisation, and the sign by which the organisation will be instantly recognized. However, there are cases where a declination might be useful, especially in order to differentiate the different units of Wikimedia, i.e. Foundation and local chapters mainly.
On the websites of the Foundation and local chapters, the following rules apply:
- The full logo will be used, and a subline will be added under the word WIKIMEDIA.
- The subline can be localized (e.g. name of the country in the relevant language/languages). It can consist of one or more lines and can be written in the relevant script/ideograms. The WIKIMEDIA part of the logo will not be localized.
- The subline should be resized at 60% of the size of the word WIKIMEDIA, and its color is 60% black. The font is GillSans bold. A replacement font in scripts not supported can be DejaVu Sans
See the following examples for possible declinations:
Letterheads and business cards
In order to keep the signature intact, localized Wikimedia logos should not be used on business cards and letterheads, but the branch of the organisation should appear prominently in the design.
Letterheads and business cards should never be issued without express authorization from the Wikimedia Foundation or the relevant chapters. Please ask the Wikimedia Foundation or the Local chapter in your country for guidelines concerning letterheads and business cards.
- The font GillSans is the one used for the logo. It should be used as much as possible in printed material. However, since this is not a font available by default on most computers, Arial should be the preferred font for the body of letters, faxes, documents. Arial is present on most computers and allows editable documents to be read without any problems.
Gill Sans light
Gill Sans regular
Gill Sans bold