Archive:Financial Reports/Financial Statements July 2011 December 2011
This page has been archived.
Its content is no longer being maintained and is likely out of date.
This page can be relocated to Meta-Wiki.
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Actual vs. Plan Comparison
July 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011
|Actual Jul - Dec 11||Plan Jul - Dec 11||$ Change||% Change||Notes||Annual Plan|
|Ordinary Unrestricted Income/Expense|
|Unrestricted Public Support||$25,376,746||$ 22,427,400||$ 2,949,346||13.15%||(a)||$ 28,000,000|
|In Kind Revenue||1,565,065||-||1,565,065||100.00%||(b)||-|
|Other Types of Income||(128,023)||-||(128,023)||-100.00%||(c)||34,000|
|Salaries and Wages||5,332,873||5,779,644||(446,771)||-7.73%||12,410,883|
|Recruiting and Other Hiring Costs||341,431||506,500||(165,069)||-32.59%||(f)||963,000|
|In Kind Expenses||1,565,065||-||1,565,065||100.00%||(b)||-|
|Facilities and Equipment||569,849||626,670||(56,821)||-9.07%||1,122,711|
|Outside Contract Services||1,843,903||1,550,896||293,007||18.89%||(h)||2,908,425|
|Staff and Volunteer Development||100,600||338,386||(237,786)||-70.27%||(i)||666,472|
|Other Operating Expenses||561,567||540,458||21,109||3.91%||1,211,525|
|Travel, Entertainment, and Meetings||655,304||888,544||(233,240)||-26.25%||(l)||1,670,442|
|Net "Unrestricted" Income||12,784,247||8,755,510||4,028,737||46.01%||1,200,279|
|Restricted Public Support||-||-||-||-||-|
|Net "Restricted" Income/(Loss)||(338,106)||-||(338,106)||100.00%||-|
|Total Net Income||$12,446,141||$8,755,510||$3,690,631||42.15%||$1,200,279|
Mid-Year Financial Statement Recap - Actual vs. Plan
Revenue is over plan year-to-date due to the success of the annual on-line fundraiser and unrestricted foundation grants. Expenses were less than plan primarily due to lower salaries/benefits/recruiting/staff development costs due to slower hiring than originally anticipated, travel expenses, community convene expenses, and timing of technology capital expenditures, of which a portion will not be incurred as planned due to the servers donated from Cisco.
Notes (Variance over 10%):
- (a) Revenue is over plan year-to-date due to the success of annual on-line fundraiser and unrestricted foundation grants.
- (b) Represents donated internet hosting services for the Amsterdam data center of approximately $144K and 40 servers from Cisco of approximately $1.4MM.
In-kind amounts are not budgeted.
- (c) Includes foreign exchange losses, interest income and misc. income.
- (d) Represents merchandise web store that has not been launched. We are expecting to launch it in March.
- (e) Program income is lower than plan due to new business development relationships have not been formed as originally anticipated.
- (f) Recruiting expenses are lower than plan due to a majority of hirings are done internally through our independent recruiting contractors versus using recruiting or placement firms.
- (g) Grants in total are currently in-lined with plan but incurring earlier than originally anticipated. However, overall for the fiscal year, grants expenses will exceed plan resulting from grants provided in lieu of fundraising revenue share for chapters that participated in the annual on-line fundraiser in prior years. Grants in lieu of fundraising revenue share were not budgeted.
- (h) Outside contract services higher than plan resulted from engagement of contractors to fill roles of opened positions until permanent staff are hired.
- (i) Staff and volunteer development expenses are spent slower than originally anticipated.
- (j) Bank fees are more than plan as a direct result of higher online fundraising revenue and also due to the engagement of a new payment processor with higher fees but allows us the ability to receive donations from a greater number of local currencies.
- (k) Amounts are lower than plan due to timing of servers purchase. A portion of the total planned capital expenditures will not be spent and reallocated since we received 40 donated servers from Cisco.
- (l) Lower travels than anticipated and also community convene that has not occurred.
- (m) Represents spending against the restricted Public Policy Initiative grant. Restricted grants are not budgeted.
Actual - Year-Over-Year Comparison
Year-to-Date, July-December, 2011 vs. 2010
|Jul - Dec 11||Jul - Dec 10||$ Change||% Change||Notes|
|Ordinary "Unrestricted" Income/Expense|
|Unrestricted Public Support||$25,376,746||$17,679,395||$7,697,351||43.54%||(a)|
|In Kind Revenue||1,565,065||143,098||1,421,967||993.70%||(b)|
|Other Types of Income||(128,023)||(85,264)||(42,759)||50.15%||(c)|
|Salaries and Wages||5,332,873||2,901,120||2,431,753||83.82%||(e)|
|Recruiting and Other Hiring Costs||341,431||150,352||191,079||127.09%||(f)|
|In Kind Expenses||1,565,065||143,098||1,421,967||993.70%||(b)|
|Facilities and Equipment||569,849||405,714||164,135||40.46%||(i)|
|Outside Contract Services||1,843,903||1,234,608||609,295||49.35%||(j)|
|Staff and Volunteer Development||100,600||135,213||(34,613)||-25.60%||(k)|
|Other Operating Expenses||561,567||322,160||239,407||74.31%||(m)|
|Travel, Entertainment, and Meetings||655,304||579,079||76,225||13.16%||(o)|
|Net "Unrestricted" Income||12,784,247||10,412,419||2,371,828||22.78%|
|Restricted Public Support||-||-||-||-|
|Net "Restricted" Income/(Loss)||(338,106)||(457,077)||118,971||-26.03%|
|Total Net Income||$12,446,141||$9,955,342||$2,490,799||25.02%|
Year Over Year Recap
WMF has continued to raise revenue to support its expanding work per the strategic plan. Expenses have increased in concurrence with the initiatives of the strategic plan.
- (a) The online fundraiser revenue continues to increase significantly comparing to prior year for the same period.
- (b) Represents donated internet hosting for Amsterdam data center for 2011 and 2010 and servers donated from Cisco and pro bono legal services for 2011.
- (c) Includes foreign exchange losses, interest income and misc. income. Foreign exchange losses have increased due to fluctuations in the value of US dollars and due to increased foreign donations.
- (d) Program revenue decreased due to the decrease in licensing revenue with Telefonica.
- (e) Salaries and wages increased due to growth in staff.
- (f) Recruiting and other hiring costs are higher due to more hirings.
- (g) Increased spending on hosting to improve capacity and reliability as well as having a new data center in Virginia.
- (h) Grants have increased in accordance with the organization's plan to increase grant-making activities.
- (i) Facilities expense increased due to purchases of laptops and other IT equipment for new staffs and replacement of old equipment.
- (j) Outside contract services includes temporary contractors and professional services to assist with our active projects and activities.
- (k) Includes travel expenses for volunteers and staff education as well as facility rental for offsite all-staff meeting.
- (l) Bank fees consist primarily of Paypal and Global Collect fees which increased commensurate with increased funds raised.
- (m) Other operating expenses includes legal and accounting fees, fundraising communications expenses and misc. offices expenses. All have increased due to increased activity.
- (n) Capex associates with servers purchases for the data centers.
- (o) Travel has increased due to increase in staff size and strategic initiatives such as global development.
- (p) Represents restricted projects; in July to Dec 2010 there were 2 active restricted projects, Ford Mutimedia (ended Nov 2010) and Stanton
Public Policy Initiative, which ended in September 2011.
As of December 31, 2011 and 2010
|Dec 31, 11||Dec 31, 10||$ Change||% Change|
|Other Current Assets||821,723||229,876||591,847||257.46%|
|Total Current Assets||34,716,567||24,332,076||10,384,491||42.68%|
|Property, Plant and Equipment||6,012,023||2,802,852||3,209,171||114.50%|
|Accum.Depr-Property, Plant and|
|Total Other Assets||3,401,675||1,192,904||2,208,771||185.16%|
|LIABILITIES & NET ASSETS|
|Accounts Payable and Accrued Expenses||$900,311||$827,171||$73,140||8.84%|
|Total Net Assets||36,638,284||24,498,073||12,140,211||49.56%|
|TOTAL LIABILITIES & NET ASSETS||$38,118,242||$25,524,980||$12,593,262||49.34%|