Archive:Volunteering:Wikimania scholarships reviewer
This page has been archived.
Its content is no longer being maintained and is likely out of date.
This page can be relocated to Meta-Wiki.
- Title - Wikimania Scholarships Reviewer
- Wikimania Scholarships Program Description
The 2010 Wikimania Scholarships Program enables a diverse and global group of active Wikimedians and new participants to travel to and attend the Wikimania conference in Gdansk, Poland, from July 9-11, 2010.
- Primary responsibilities of position
- Assistance in determination of scholarship applicant requirements.
- Assurance of due consideration and speedy response time to Wikimania scholarship applications.
- Sample activities
- Participating in periodic online meetings with scholarships program manager and volunteer committee.
- Determining suitability of candidates based on established criteria.
- Selecting scholarship awardees.
- Time frame
February 22 - April 30, 2010
- Estimated Total Hours
At volunteer's discretion, however, volunteer should be available for regular scheduled meetings, and be organized to work with team members on the following estimated schedule:
- Mid-February through Mid-March, 1-2 hours per week, consisting of periodic meetings on IRC and communication over email.
- Mid-March through Early-April: Application review, 3-4 hours per week.
- Early-April through 3rd week of April: Application review, 20-30 hours in total.
- Qualifications sought
- Ability to speak English.
- Volunteer has either.
- Prior attendance at Wikimania.
- Strong knowledge of cross-project Wikimedia community (involved in several local projects, and Commons, Meta, etc.).
- Individuals with both strengths will be sought, and complementary skills will be taken into consideration.
- Good communication skills.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential applicant information, and objectively assess candidates.
- Optional language skills (not required, in descending order of importance): Polish, German, Russian.
- Benefits to volunteering
- Conference fees and lodging during Wikimania 2010. (Travel costs are volunteer's responsibility).
- Gaining experience with doing specific project-related work for the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation.
- Increased association with the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia community.
- To apply
- Please send a short biography of yourself, including aspects of your activity on the Wikimedia projects. Any information you believe is relevant, is relevant. You may also wish to attach your CV. Send this to Cary Bass, at cary wikimedia dot org. You may also call Cary at 415.839.6885, extension 601.
- Deadline to apply
Thursday, February 18, 2010