This proposal has been approved by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
It may not be circumvented, eroded, or ignored by Wikimedia Foundation officers or staff nor local policies of any Wikimedia project.
|This resolution was approved by the Board of Trustees on November 7, 2015|
Whereas, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees seeks to create a standing committee to advise on and help implement the community selection process for the Board, the Funds Dissemination Committee, the Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson, and similar community-selected positions as determined by the Board.
Resolved, the Board authorizes the creation and operation of a Standing Elections Committee in the below charter.
With the recommendation of the Executive Director, and in consideration of the interests of the Wikimedia community, the Board Governance Committee shall appoint the initial membership of the Elections Committee (Note: We anticipate that the recommendation would include the former members of the past temporary elections committee). The Board Governance Committee, in consultation with sitting members of the Committee and their advisors, will make subsequent appointments.
The Board authorizes the Board Governance Committee to amend this charter as may be required from time to time with prior notice to the Board.
Elections Committee Charter
The purpose of the Standing Election Committee is to advise on and help implement policies for the community selection process for the Board of Trustees, the Funds Dissemination Committee, the Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson, and similar community-selected positions as determined by the Board.
The Committee shall consist of at least five (5) voting members and as many non-voting advisors as invited by the Committee. The Committee shall select one member to serve as Chair on a yearly basis. Members will be selected based upon their qualifications, expertise, experience with the Wikimedia community, and other relevant factors.
Members and advisors should serve terms of two years and be appointed every two years by the Board Governance Committee, in consultation with sitting members of the Committee and their advisors.
A member or advisor shall keep their position until their term expires or until that position is filled with another appointed member or advisor by the Board Governance Committee. The Board Governance Committee may remove and replace a member or advisor for good cause with a majority vote. Any Committee member appointed to fill a vacancy shall serve only the remainder of their predecessor’s term unless reappointed.
To the extent possible, the Committee members and advisors should reflect the diversity of the Wikimedia community. The Executive Director should appoint at least two non-voting advisors to join the Committee to ensure it has the necessary resources to run the election.
- The Committee shall recommend the dates, rules, and regulation of the voting procedures for approval by the Board of Trustees pursuant to Article IV, Section 3(C) in the Foundation Bylaws.
- The Committee shall recommend who is qualified to vote for the Board of Trustees pursuant to Article IV, Section 3(C) in the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws.
- The Committee shall be responsible for preparing recommendations for the dates, rules and regulation of the voting procedures for the Funds Dissemination Committee, and the Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson, consistent with the charter of the Funds Dissemination Committee.
- To the extent possible, the Committee shall consult with the wider Wikimedia community in developing and revising election procedures within the scope of this charter.
- The Committee shall be a source of information to any member of the Wikimedia community interested in the community selection processes of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Under the direction of the Board Governance Committee, the Committee shall take actions as necessary to execute the selection process for the Board of Trustees, the Funds Dissemination Committee, and the Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson.
- As needed, the Committee may assist with other duties as may be assigned by the Board or the Board Governance Committee.
- The Committee shall meet at least once per year.
- The Chair of the Committee may call a special meeting of the Committee upon due notice of the date, time, and place of the special meeting to each member at least five (5) business days prior to the meeting.
- Meetings may be held in person, over the telephone, or via other electronic means, provided all participants can communicate clearly and be simultaneously heard.
- A majority of the members present shall decide any matter brought before the Committee.
- Patricio Lorente, Alice Wiegand, Frieda Brioschi, Stu West, Jan-Bart de Vreede, Guy Kawasaki, Dariusz Jemielniak, Denny Vrandečić, James Heilman, Jimmy Wales
- Funds Dissemination Committee framework and initial operation (July 2012)
- Charter of the Funds Dissemination Advisory Committee (July 2012)