Out of date, inaccurate
Hi. Parts of this FAQ are now out of date or inaccurate. The whole page could use a read-through, if anyone has time. --MZMcBride (talk) 01:12, 21 August 2012 (UTC)
when to use "Wikimedia" and "Wikimedia Foundation"
I've heard repeatedly in various contexts that folks don't like it when "Wikimedia" and "Wikimedia Foundation" are conflated or used interchangeably. I made a pass through the FAQs to try to draw a brighter line between the two, but happy if someone else will give it an edit as well. In cases where "Wikimedia" clearly seemed to reference WMF, I changed it to "the Wikimedia Foundation." In cases where it could mean Wikimedia as a movement, I left it unchanged. There were one or two instances where it seemed a bit of a toss up to me. Feel free to have at it if you're inclined. Mroth (talk) 21:14, 27 September 2012 (UTC)
Needs updating every July 1
This page should be updated regularly, including at the start of each fiscal year. Since it is linked prominently from our fundraising banners, which now go on all year round, it needs swift maintenance. Sj (talk) 19:39, 21 July 2013 (UTC)
- It used to be possible to recruit editors to help out with exactly this kind of thing. Given recent events leading to the inability to create accounts for others, it's now substantially more difficult to attract or recruit new editors. Consequently, it's completely unsurprising that this page and the rest of the wiki continue to slowly rot from neglect.
- I need not be the one to point out that an active and vibrant community is the lifeblood of any wiki. Stagnant and outdated pages are a direct result of the attack on openness and other core values here on this wiki. Or put another way: e-mail Gayle or Philippe about getting this page updated. :-) --MZMcBride (talk) 23:20, 21 July 2013 (UTC)
It's been correctly pointed out that most mentions of "chapters" in the FAQ are at this point misleading, in that they exclude other movement groups, namely thematic organizations and user groups. I'd like to discuss ways to make it more accurate. Ijon (talk) 20:17, 29 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Ijon. I searched for "chapter" in the current text of FAQ/en and added subsections and quotes below so that everyone can discuss specific portions of the text directly. Some of the instances seem fine. Others may need tweaking.
- As I recall, the whole FAQ is pretty dated and in need of love. A symptom of a fishbowl wiki, perhaps. (cc: Eloquence) --MZMcBride (talk) 23:47, 29 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that I already addressed the stale content issue in the section directly above. Be bold! --MZMcBride (talk) 23:48, 29 April 2014 (UTC)
For reference: Special:Permalink/96477.
- the Wikimedia Announcements mailing list, which includes announcements from chapters and community members