Changes to editing access and login setup
Hello @MarcoAurelio: First, thank you for your efforts here on Foundation Wiki and now Governance Wiki over the years. Second, I wanted to make sure you were aware that as we complete the transition to the planned Governance Wiki setup, we will be making further changes to editing access and the setup of logging into accounts.
Over the coming weeks, we will be enabling Single User Login (SUL) on this wiki - allowing all registered users edit access to the talk pages as well as translation pages. Editing on main namespaces will be limited to approved accounts. You can find additional information about these planned changes on the Meta-Wiki page for Governance Wiki. Once this transition is completed, we will begin reviewing what additional access and setup changes may be necessary to best support the purpose of this wiki. Again, thank you for all of your assistance over the years, and we look forward to seeing you utilizing the new setup. --Gregory Varnum (Wikimedia Foundation) [he/him] (talk) 02:02, 19 October 2021 (UTC)
Please consider translating Access to temporary account IP addresses for me.
(If you have any questions about it, please feel free to ask me.) Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 03:37, 31 March 2023 (UTC)
- @Whatamidoing (WMF): Thanks for your message. I'll try :) — MarcoAurelio (talk) 09:44, 2 April 2023 (UTC)
- @Whatamidoing (WMF): Done. Hopefully this won't mean we or them will be having ip-viewer local rights in 700+ projects. Is there a Phab ticket or page elsewhere where work and/or code about this is being done? Thanks, — MarcoAurelio (talk) 23:47, 3 April 2023 (UTC)
- Thank you!
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/5751/ for the workboard, and I think phab:T325238 is the most relevant major section.
- I don't know if they have planned a global userright, but I assume that the easiest thing for them to do is just to put it in the steward group (like
view-deleted). If you have a particular arrangement that you/the Stewards would prefer, please let me know. I believe that team would like, to the greatest extent feasible, to make this work as well as possible for you. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 16:11, 4 April 2023 (UTC)
- Thank you @Whatamidoing (WMF). Indeed. Since it seems this will be part of MediaWiki core (or an extension available at all wikis) we could use Special:GlobalGroupPermissions to add them to the relevant global groups that Legal decide. Otherwise it can always be manually added until deployed everywhere. I'll keep an eye on the task. Best regards, — MarcoAurelio (talk) 17:00, 4 April 2023 (UTC)