|Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki|
Wikipedia Desktop Website Dark Mode
@SGrabarczuk (WMF): I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I was wondering if Dark Mode for the Wikipedia desktop site is every going to be a thing? I mean Volker E. made a pretty good CSS (can be found here if anyone is interested: WikimediaUI Dark mode) So doesn't have to be anything special like the phone app has all those options (Wikiwand works fine for anyone interested in something like that on the desktop, I rather have a simple toggle on the vanilla site cause I'm a simple guy that likes to go on rants about dark mode on Wikimedia late at night lmao). At least for me a pure black dark mode is fine. I was just wondering, cause my late night Wikipedia "rabbit hole" journeys puts a lot of strain on my eyes and I'm sure I'm not the only one lol. Also, don't really want to log into my account all the time if I ever go on other computers (mostly on public computers or work computers) or incognito on the browser to use the CSS. Sorry for the long rant lol. So yeah, was just wondering if it's going to ever happen? Hurtcopain (talk) 07:10, 22 June 2023 (UTC)
- Most likely, YES, @Hurtcopain. I'm glad that I can say this is part of our annual plan for the year starting in July :) Unless this changes, which is highly unlikely, we'll be working on dark mode in the next months.
- As a fun fact - there are at least two challenging parts. First of all, we haven't been able to offer preferences to logged-out users. We're solving this now. Secondly, dark mode will not look good if different pieces of code (like templates and other CSS written by the communities on each wiki locally) aren't adjusted to it. So it will require lots of work, not only for the Foundation.
- Subscribe to the newsletter to watch the progress.
- And thanks for your question! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 12:14, 22 June 2023 (UTC)
- Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! That sounds great and I can't wait to see the feature soon. I understand the hurdles it takes to come out with new features, but I just want to thank you and the whole wiki team and community for what they do for not only me but the whole internet. Keep it up! Hurtcopain (talk) 05:51, 24 June 2023 (UTC)
Wikimedia wiki mobile redirect
- Hello @CyberOne25, I have reported this on Phabricator where hopefully it can be investigated further and resolved. Thank you for reporting it. --Gregory Varnum (Wikimedia Foundation) [he/him] (talk) 20:41, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
shown 3 edit requests but listed none
On page -> https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Scope , what is the meaning of 3 in the Maintenance infobox since there are no element in the list page ? May be title to improve.
Edit requests (3)
- @Wladek92: That relates to the number of edit requests currently in queue. I am open to suggestions on alternative (but not too long) wording. --Gregory Varnum (Wikimedia Foundation) [he/him] (talk) 20:27, 9 August 2023 (UTC)
- @Wladek92: I am not sure what you mean. I see two pages in that category (aka the queue) - one (the template) is excluded from the count, and one is one hold (but still in the queue). That matches the (1) that I now see in that navbox. --Gregory Varnum (Wikimedia Foundation) [he/him] (talk) 20:42, 11 August 2023 (UTC)
What meaning of levels of Protections
- Hello @JaredLucas, you can find more information about editing and accounts on this wiki at these pages:
- I hope that helps! --Gregory Varnum (Wikimedia Foundation) [he/him] (talk) 00:23, 6 September 2023 (UTC)
Can this site be classified as semi-fishbowl
As unregistered users cannot edit or translate anything and registered users only have ablity to edit talk pages and user pages, and translating content, also creating an account is disabled. Can this wiki be considered "semi-fishbowl"? ToadetteEdit (talk) 20:03, 10 November 2023 (UTC)