This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.
Notes from the editors
There should be a link to the press release on the Home page. Yann 11:46, 29 Sep 2004 (UTC)
I've increased the width the "about" part of the page occupies to 60% as it contains the most important content, and the amount "below the fold" needed to be reduced. I've also explained the Board on the main page - before that, there was just a single small link to the board page - easily missed. This also provides explanation for the list of board meetings that was already there!
The text for the board part is an abridged part of Board of trustees - the translations should already exist.
I've also moved the Quarto link to below the Latest news section. It was completely out of place in the "About the..." section, and, being the newsletter, belongs rather more by the news section. Dan100 17:45, 20 August 2005 (UTC)
March 03, 2007 by Florence Devouard, Wikimedia Chair
March or may ? --Kaganer 22:58, 7 May 2007 (UTC)
- March I think, since it was posted to the foundation-l at first in March. But it is my guessing. --Aphaea 00:19, 8 May 2007 (UTC)
15 most visited websites
Shall we change this to "one of the 10 most visited websites"? Cary Bass 21:04, 13 June 2007 (UTC)
Right column (news) is much taller than the left one. This is not a good design, and I propose a section to be added to the left side, or the right column being made a little shorter (by archival of older news, perhaps). Huji 18:08, 16 February 2008 (UTC)
- I got rid of the January news, so they're about the same now. Thunderhead 00:28, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
I am really sorry
to be a pedantic Englishman not an American but "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment." just doesn't make any sense, particularly "commitment" is the wrong word. "Vision" "Aspiration" "Goal" or "We are committed to this vision" or something? --AndrewCates 21:20, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, the strap-line has quite a few grammatical issues in British English; I've always belaboured under the impression that it's better (not illiterate) in American English. Here's a slightly more precise (and, possibly, accurate) form:
- O Humanity, consider an existence whereunder we each might freely share all our knowledge; unto that ideal do we strive!
- (Not meant seriously; hopefully this is obvious.)
- James F. 22:16, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
"Sum of all knowledge"
As pointed out here, I think we should remove the claim of "sum of all knowledge" until the Wikipedias start getting their act together and stop deleting valid articles. This is making us look rather hypocritical. — Timwi 06:06, 27 November 2009 (UTC)
- There are other Wikimedia projects beside Wikipedia that have less strict inclusion policies. Wikibooks for example. See also Vision --Church of emacs 21:14, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
This discussion was moved to Wikimedia:Babel
Purpose of this page
- I think any of those goals for the main page is fine, so long as someone who cares about design feels ownership of the page and takes an interest in its large-form structure. And revisits the design from time to time. (If there's noone who feels that way, then allowing some random walks through design space is better than stagnation.) Sj (talk) 06:02, 19 December 2012 (UTC)
References to volunteers and volunteering
Considering that most of the work of the Wikimedia movement is done by volunteers, it would be good to state this fact more explicitly at the home. There is a Volunteering link in the side bar and that's it. We probably don't need yet another block in the cluttered homepage, but I would expect short references in the mentions about "help" and "support". Currently they refer only to donations and job offers, when in fact the most basic way to help has always been to volunteer with your time and skills.--Qgil (talk) 19:00, 28 December 2012 (UTC)
Recent and upcoming changes to Home (March 2013)
[Discussion moved to m:Foundation wiki feedback/Changes to home page (spring 2013).]