This page has been archived.
Its content is no longer being maintained and is likely out of date.
This page can be relocated to Meta-Wiki.
Sunday 1 January
A total of 719 donations were made through PayPal on Day 17, yielding the equivalent of $22,694.77 USD. This is about $10,000 over Day 16 and an all time record for any day in any drive the Wikimedia Foundation has ever had! Much of the increase is likely due to Jimmy Wales' posting of a personal appeal. The average donation this day was $31.56.
CafePress commissions from the start of the drive are $616.84. A total of $54.09 was donated through MoneyBookers since yesterday, bringing that total to $1476.67. All these updates bring the grand total above $200,000!
- Day total: $23,365.70
Breakdown of Day 17 PayPal donations:
AUD 312.64 (234.64 USD) CAD 861.54 (708.97 USD) EUR 2,972.57 (3,610.75 USD) GBP 990.76 (1,776.73 USD) JPY 9,947.00 (89.87 USD) USD 16,273.81 Total 22,694.77 USD
Special thanks to those who gave large donations
Peter Hamilton gave the largest donation today, $1000. Three anonymous donors gave $500.00 each. There were also many donors who gave the equivalent of about $100 or more (listed in no particular order); Kyprianos Theocharides, Andries Krugers Dagneaux, Ajit Jaokar, Ethan Bradford, John Flynn, Emily Pike, Juan Nuno, Dan Jones, Scot Colburn, Jaco Rheeder, Charlie Wiederhold, John Wilson III, Todd Griffith, Dave McClure, Leonard Lin, Hansung Jung, Kenneth Kantor, Chris Cole, Maurice Weeks, Michael Roberts, Alexander Jackl, Jessen Bredeson, Kan Chou, Chris Sun, Randall Seratte, and 33 anonymous donors.
- Note: While large donations are great, it should be noted that about 70% of all the money donated to the Wikimedia Foundation comes from donations that are the equivalent of $50 or less and the average donation is about $25.
Selected donor comments
Let's all thank everybody who donated on this day by reading their comments.
- Full listing at: http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/2005q4/index.php/2006-01-01/detail/
- "First you take my time, now you take my money, and I STILL love Wikipedia. Feels almost like being married ;) -- Chris 73" by anonymous
- "Wikipedia's power is in its' contributor's clear, accurate prose." by Christopher Cormie
- "Freedom of information! What a novel idea! ;-) Go Wiki - lets take the power back!" by Adriel Neal-Ogilvie
- "Libertà di sapere, volontà di sapere" by anonymous
- "The Best Thing on the Intenet. Jimmy - I'll hold you to the African child comment." by Mwangi Wamae
- "Knowledge lifts up all mankind and improves the world for all" by Timothy McMullen
- "Difficult to imagine how I did in the past without Wikipedia" by anonymous
- "This site is amazing...if I could give ten times as much, I would!" by Tricia Maas
- "my absolute favourite website of all times" by Vasily Myazin
- "Gegen die Kommerzialisierung von Information" by anonymous
- "there goes my salary :-)" by Daniel Wool
- "Wikipedia is clearly the Soul of Hylozoism" by Peter Hamilton
- "This site helps me out alot with school. Thanks guys!!!!" by anonymous
- "Wiki is the future. Information without boundaries, physical or otherwise." by Jason Spratt
- "I have learnt so much from wikipedia. Its time to give something back. Keep up the good work!" by Ajit Jaokar
- "Wikipedia can save lives with its medical pages. It's helped me. Great reason to donate!" by anonymous
- "Wikipedia: Behold the generosity of the human race!" by Anthony Chisholm
- "for the most useful website ever." by Götz Fabian
- "Wikipedia is amazing! It's so easy to use and you can use it to help you with school, business, hobbies and just about anything. Viva la Wikipedia!" by Hannes Johnson
- "Wikipedia is the best thing to happen to the Internet since the web." by Thomas Horsten
- "Wikipedia is one of the best laid out resources online that I have spent countless hours browsing. I look forward to joining your contributors, and I encourage others to do the same. Much appreciation" by anonymous
- "Wikipedia is the first place I look when I want to know something. Thanks!" by anonymous
- "Libero Sapere, Libera società!" by anonymous
Some of my personal favorites:
- "Eventually, the skeptics will use it, and see what all the buzz is about. Informed opinion is priceless." by Susan Richardson
- "Long live freedom of information! Long live Wikimedia!" by Joe Aston
- "Thank you for showing us that the Internet isn't all about banner ads or how many pages a search engine can index, but about presenting accessible and relevant information in the languages that we speak." by anonymous
- "Wikipedia is the most important development to human knowledge and understanding since the printing press. Thank you to everyone that contributes and improves it." by Charlie Wiederhold
- "Words are weapons of peace" by Kjetil Teige Ulbaasen
- "Wikipedia is one of the best treasures of the information age." by Michael Skallas
- "You should pay ME for all the time I've wasted err spent on Wikipedia!" by anonymous
- "Wikipedia has grown to be a major collective cultural achievement.!" by anonymous
- "I really want to appear on the selected donor comments list!" by Jeffrey Chang
-- Daniel Mayer