This page has been archived.
Its content is no longer being maintained and is likely out of date.
This page can be relocated to Meta-Wiki.
Saturday 24 December
A total of 264 donations were made through PayPal on Day 9, yielding the equivalent of $8948.90 USD. The average donation that day was $33.90. This is an increase of $2137.63 over Day 8 and is also the highest average donation so far in the drive. Most notably, we passed the $100,000 milestone on this day!
MoneyBookers donations rose by $46.73 that day, bringing that total to $734.58. The Wikimedia office was closed on Saturday, so there are no new mail donations to report. Hopefully, the first Dexia updates will arrive in my mail box on Tuesday (Monday is a federally-observed holiday). Once they arrive, I'll update each of the daily reports to reflect those daily totals.
- Total donated on Day 8: $8995.63
Breakdown of Day 9 PayPal donations:
AUD 164.50 (123.46 USD) CAD 444.22 (365.55 USD) EUR 1,591.07 (1,932.66 USD) GBP 275.95 (494.86 USD) JPY 104,248.00 (941.88 USD) USD 5,090.49 Total 8,948.90 USD
Special thanks to those who gave large donations
The largest donation this day was $1000 and was made by Jeff Moe. There were also many donors who gave the equivalent of about $100 or more (listed in no particular order); Luis Cavique Santos, Kazuhisa Ueyama, James Sweeney, Mike Blaszczak, Katsuji Ishikawa, Kenneth Truelove and 15 anonymous donors.
- Note: While large donations are great, it should be noted that about 70% of all the money donated to the Wikimedia Foundation comes from donations that are the equivalent of $50 or less and the average donation is about $25.
Selected donor comments
Let's all thank everybody who donated on this day by reading their comments.
- Full listing at: http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/2005q4/index.php/2005-12-24/detail/
- "grazie per lo sforzo" by anonymous
- "I've saved a lot of money here that I might have spent on out-of-date reference books printed on dead trees." by anonymous
- "I firmly believe that Wikipedia deserves the support of all of its users." by M Dunsky
- "Wenn man schon in der Hauptsache kostenfreie Dienstleistungen nutzt, sollte man auch den Anstand besitzen, etwas zu bezahlen, vor allem wenn finanzielle Unterstützung dringend gebraucht wird." by anonymous
- "Grateful for the wealth of information so brilliantly put together. A great idea and sincere hopes for continuing development; hence the donation" by anonymous
- "For Mark Fox" by anonymous
- "Thank you. You have helped so many with their coursework and assignments. Always a guarantee to find updated, easy to understand and informative stuff on Wikipedia." by anonymous
- "Wikipedia is an example of cooperation, participation and innovation. Keep information free!" by Damon Ramsey
- "The best thing I ever saw on the net" by Maarten Braakhekke
- "頑張って欲しい" by kazuhisa Ueyama
- "Knowledge guarantees Freedom" by anonymous
- "Wish the Wikimedia Foundation another successful year in 06. BTW thank you for the Christmas card." by Eric Bouse
- "Wikipedia is what the internet was made for. Here's a little donation to help the people who make it possible :D" by George Kettleborough
- "zur weiterentwicklung" by Thomas Junge
- "Wikipedia: my reference work of choice! Thanks, everybody!" by anonymous
- "An indispensable resource, an elegant site, no advertisements, and a worthy cause." by anonymous
- "Keep the change" by anonymous
Some of my personal favorites:
- "You are a great resource, for the people, of the people and by the people. And in fact, I got a crucial pointer in my research from one of your articles. Thank you." by anonymous
- "I can't think of a better project to donate to!" by anonymous
- "for freedom of knowledge and privilege of education for everyone" by Christoph Wagner
- "I wear my Wikipedia t-shirt with pride!" by anonymous
- "So much to learn, so little time..." by anonymous
- "Are you hiring?" by Mike Blaszczak
-- Daniel Mayer