This page has been archived.
Its content is no longer being maintained and is likely out of date.
This page can be relocated to Meta-Wiki.
Friday 23 December
A total of 359 donations were made through PayPal on Day 8, yielding the equivalent of $6,811.27 USD. The average donation that day was $18.97. While this is both the lowest daily total and the lowest average donation so far in the drive, it was not unexpected; a great many people were very busy getting ready for Christmas that day.
Moneybookers donations rose by about $140, bringing that total to $687.85. Mail donations increased by $625, our largest daily increase in mail donations in the drive so far, bringing that total to $720. Dexia total for the day is €260 ($313.90) via 10 donations.
- Day total: $7,890.17
Breakdown of Day 8 PayPal donations:
AUD 197.99 (148.59 USD) CAD 142.46 (117.23 USD) EUR 1,912.28 (2,322.83 USD) GBP 178.50 (320.10 USD) JPY 30,883.00 (279.03 USD) USD 3,623.49 Total 6,811.27 USD
Special thanks to large donors
The largest donation this day was $200.00 USD and was made by Barry Langdon-Lassagne. There were also many donors who gave the equivalent of about $100 or more (listed in no particular order); Romary Daval, Domas Mituzas, KENGO Nakajima, Alan Rhodes, Lutz Kayser, James Hare, and seven anonymous donations.
- Note: While large donations are great, it should be noted that about 70% of all the money donated to the Wikimedia Foundation comes from donations that are the equivalent of $50 or less and the average donation is about $25.
Selected donor comments
Let's all thank everybody who donated on this day by reading their comments.
- Full listing at: http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/2005q4/index.php/2005-12-23/detail/
- "An eminently worthy undertaking" by Craig Glennie
- "Longue vie au libre partage des connaissances!" by Philippe Teuwen
- "I don't know how we got on without Wikipedia. Please don't cave it to pressure groups." by anonymous
- "This donation to Wikipedia is in memory of McRae Family, Ottawa,Ontario,Canada" by Craig McRae
- "Poursuivez votre labeur fantastique" by anonymous
- "The best reference that ever existed" by David Kirkpatrick
- "I'm very grateful to Wikimedia. Because of it I can do research very quick. I am living with Wikimedia whenever I have free time during the day" by Tam Nguyen
- "Wissen ist Macht! Keep up the great work!" by André Heßling
- "I donate for a clean and proven Wikipedia" by anonymous
- "Merry Christmas and many Greetings from Austria to Wikipedia" by Manfred Halver
- "Wikipedia's open/free nature is really what allows it to thrive. I think a service like this would not be possible if it weren't for Free Software. Please consider donating to at www.fsf.org" by Pol Danilov
- "Wikipedia ist der wahre Geist des Webs! Weiter so!" by Peter Köller
- "I hope you guys realize what a huge effect you have on the Internet community, and we the users truly appreciate the immense work you put in. LONG LIVE WIKIPEDIA!" by Edwin Choi
- "I will be giving more as money comes in (chrismas is a costly time)" by anonymous
- "Por plibonigado de Vikipedio." by Gokhan San
- "In honor of my Godparents Lucy, John, Theresa and Ron...Happy Christmas!" by Josh Courteau
- "This project has saved me much more than this in time, convenience and useful knowledge. I'll be *paying another visit here soon enough." by Stephen Allen
- "in honor of Aaron Kuntz" by anonymous
- "gracias a vosotros" by Raul Aguaviva
- "Best..website..ever." by anonymous
- "naturally..." by KENGO Nakajima
Some of my personal favorites:
- "Use the site so much, would be criminal not to!" by Jack Hynes
- "You changed my life, guys. I am sorry I can only contribute with such a modest amount." by anonymous
- "The greatest progress of mankind in the last 5 years." by Michael Young
- "let us be even more successful than Britannica" by anonymous
- "My bonus check, with love." by Jeffrey Friedlander
- "Rock on, Wikipedia. Rock on." by anonymous
- "No comment." by anonymous